Queensland Rostrum is a personal development organisation with a difference.
Many of us today realise that we would be much more effective in our jobs, our community or social groups and within our families if we had a little more confidence. Doing courses however can be scary and buying books can give us a great deal of the theory but confidence doesn't come in a packet, it has to be developed through social interaction.
Rostrum is about bringing people together in small groups to learn the skill of speaking to groups, giving presentations and facilitating meetings all within a socially friendly environment. Whether your specific need is public speaking, presentation skills, leadership, chairmanship or any one of the multitudes of personal development skills, they all start from a simple foundation of self-confidence. If you're still wondering about the benefits of joining Rostrum, we urge you to watch this video from one of our long-standing members, Eddie Fee. In it he describes how he progressed from someone who was truly nervous about addressing an audience to a confident speaker. See Eddie describe the benefits which he has gained from Belonging to Rostrum.
- I need to think on my feet, to speak in public as part of my job and build self-confidence
- I am not assertive, and am in a rut
- I need a promotion or to change jobs, and need leadership skills and poise
- I want to deliver an outcome for my employer which is above expectations
- It would be excellent to mix with like-minded people who enjoy the human personality
- Now retired, I need to fill my time effectively and keep my brain active
- Crosswords and Sudoku help, but I need to talk to people and to practise mental gymnastics to defer dementia
- Having enjoyed the Rostrum Voice of Youth competition, I'm inspired to develop my speaking skills further
- My English isn't good and it needs to improve
- I have moved from interstate and want to get to know people here
- I have to participate in my committee meetings, and need to learn about meeting procedures
- As part of a wedding I need to learn my speaking role and anyway, I want to fast-track my public speaking skills
- I was once in Rostrum but found it difficult to get to meetings. Now I have more time
- I represent our organisation to the general public but am unsure how to get our message across
- I sometimes have to speak at short notice, but am terrified of doing so
- I need to get away from technology and listen to the spoken word from real people.