- The Rostrum Voice of Youth competition is open to all full-time secondary school students who satisfy the age criteria.
- There are two age divisions:
- Junior: students must be at least 11 and under 15 years of age at 1st January
- Senior: students under 18 years of age at 1st January
- In each age division there are two speaking segments:
- A prepared speech of six minutes for juniors and eight minutes for seniors, from a selection of five topics. This segment carries a maximum of 100 marks.
- A short notice speech of three minutes from a selection of three topics (preparation time 15 minutes). This segment carries a maximum of 70 marks.
(Please note that a short notice speech is compulsory only for the State and National finals and the round immediately preceding the State final).
11. Competitors must use their own, original content. Reference to other texts or direct quotation is allowed, but any speech must be substantially the work of the speaker. If plagiarism is suspected, a competitor may be automatically disqualified from the competition.